Professor Dave Richardson is the Director at the C·I·B. Dave’s specific expertise is in invasion ecology and particularly alien tree invasions. He stepped down as Editor-in-Chief of Diversity and Distributions in 2015 after 19 years of service, and is a member of the IUCN Species Survival Specialist Group on Invasive Organisms.
Details of publications and citations:
- PhD (Botany), University of Cape Town - 1989
- MSc (Botany) with distinction, University of Cape Town - 1985
- BSc (Forestry) (Majors: Forest Science, Nature Conservation), University of Stellenbosch - 1981
- 2005 - present: Centre for Invasion Biology, University of Stellenbosch , South Africa [current position: Professor of Ecology and Director]
- 1992 - 2004: Leslie Hill Institute for Plant Conservation, University of Cape Town , South Africa [Associate Professor and Deputy Director]
- 1990 - 1992: CSIR Division of Forest Science and Technology, Stellenbosch , South Africa
- 1981 - 1989: South African Forestry Research Institute, Stellenbosch , South Africa
Other professional activities (editorial, working groups, etc)
- Editor-in-Chief: Diversity and Distributions (A journal of conservation biogeography).
- Editorial boards: (recent & current)
- Biological Invasions (Associate Editor: 1998-present);
- Ecologia Mediterranea (International Journal of Mediterranean Ecology, France; 1998-present);
- Journal of Biogeography (Deputy Editor: 1997-2004);
- Global Ecology and Biogeography (Deputy Editor: 1997-1999; Editorial Board: 2000-2005);
- Journal of Mediterranean Ecology (2000-2004).
- Visiting Professor, Department of Organismic Biology, Ecology and Evolution, University of California , Los Angeles (UCLA)(2001-2002)
- Member, IUCN Species Survival Specialist Groups on Invasive Organisms (1996-) and Conifers (1999-)
- Member, Advisory Committee, Invasive Plant Atlas for New England (IPANE; 2002-)
- Member, Ecology Review Panel, Working for Water programme (1998 - 2004)
- Member, Task Team responsible for formulation of regulations and risk assessment framework relating to invasive species for the National Environmental Management: Biodiversity Act (NEMBA) (2005-2006)