Founded in 1905
Higher Certificate in Music
Diploma in Practical Music
Advanced Diploma in Practical Music
BA Programme in Music (General)
BA Programme in Music (Music Technology)
Bachelor of Music
MPhil in Music Technology
Part-time practical music study is offered to scholars, students from other faculties or anyone else interested in extra-mural music training.
The Conservatoire was founded in 1905 by Prof. LW Jannasch, Hans Endler, Mr Armin Schniter, Miss Nancy de Villiers and Mrs F von Willich. It was known as the South African Conservatorium of Music and was situated in Van Riebeeck Street, Stellenbosch.
Initially the Conservatoire was run as a private institution until Prof Hans Endler sold it to the Stellenbosch University in 1934. Thus, a music department was introduced into the Faculty of Arts at the University. During the period 1934 - 1937 the Conservatoire was under the direct management of the Stellenbosch University Administration. The new Conservatoire building was completed in 1978. This ultra modern building with its exceptional acoustical qualities was designed by Colyn and Meiring.
The building can accommodate approximately 140 fulltime under-graduate students over and above many post-graduate and part-time students. With many concerts and recitals, the Konservatorium and in particular the Endler Hall, play a very important role in the cultural life of Stellenbosch.
Professor L.W. Jannasch 1905 - 1920
Professor Hans Endler 1921 - 1934
Professor Maria Fismer 1938 - 1951
Professor George van der Spuy 1952 - 1960
Professor Richard Behrens 1961 - 1988
Professor Reino Ottermann 1988 - 1998
Professor Hans Roosenschoon 1998 - 2006