Catherine du Toit
|Research Areas||Academic & Administrative Responsibilities|
- 1998 -present Lecturer in French, Department of Modern Foreign Languages, University of Stellenbosch 1997 - 1998 French language Instructor at the Language Institute of the Department of Foreign Affairs 1995 – 1996 Awarded French Government Bursary for doctoral research in France 1994 –1995 Junior Lecturer (full-time) in the Department of Romance Languages (French Section), University of South
- Africa Teaching assistant (part-time) in the Department of Modern European Languages (French Section), University of Pretoria Research assistant (part-time) in the Department of Modern European Languages (French Section), University of Pretoria (research project : French-Afrikaans Dictionary)
- 1992 – 1993 Awarded French Government Bursary for post-magistral studies (D.E.A.) in France
- 1992 Junior Lecturer (full-time) in the French Department, University of Pretoria External Marker (part-time) in the Department of Romance Languages (French Section), University of South Africa Lecturer (part-time) at the Alliance Française de Pretoria
- 1990 –1991 Junior Lecturer (full-time) in the French Department, University of Pretoria
- 2006 University of Pretoria: Doctor Litterarum et philosophiae (DLitt) in French. Dissertation in French and Comparative Literature: Henri-Pierre Roché. À la recherche de l’unité perdue
- 1993 Université de Nantes : D.E.A.(Diplôme d'études approfondies = post-graduated diploma taken in France before completing a PhD) in French and Comparative Literature -summa cum laude
- 1989 University of Pretoria : Baccalaureus Artium Honores (BA Honours degree) in French Language and Literature cum laude
- 1988 University of Pretoria : Baccalaureus Legum Civilium (Bachelor's degree in Law)
- Don Juan et ... les souffrances d’un séducteur surmené in French Studies in Southern Africa, No 34, 2005 (DoE accredited)
- Curiosity, observation and love : The Roché Project in Deutsch als Herausforderung. Fremdsprachenunterricht und Literatur in Forschung und Lehre. Festschrift für Rainer Kussler. (Ed. Rolf Annas). June 2004.
- Through a glass darkly ... The image of Protestantism in francophone fiction as portrayed in works of Julien Green, Joseph Provost and Jean-Pierre Monnier in Nederduits Geref Teologiese Tydskrif, Deel 45, Nommers 1 & 2, Maart – Junie 2004 (DoE accredited)
- “Beyond the Mask : Maupassant in Algeria” in "Africa and Europe: En/Countering Myths" in the series "Literary and Cultural Theory" (General editor: Wojciech H. Kalaga) by Peter Lang Publishers, Germany. August 2003
- The image of Protestantism in francophone fiction in Proceedings of the 3rd International Huguenot Conference, September 2002, Bulletin 39, pp 62-72
- “Somebody Else : Arthur Rimbaud in Africa” (Review) in Studies in Travel Writing, No 5, 2001, Nottingham Trent University Press, pp 205-208
- Lorenzaccio et l'engrenage de la violence in Approches de l'idéal et du réel, pp 41-52, Cahier 2, Université d'Angers, 1993
- Les Possédés de Dostoïevski : Stavroguine; l'iniquité des adultes in Recherches sur l'Imaginaire, pp 451-465, Cahier XXIV, Université d'Angers, 1993
- Terroir and the winegrower by Jacky Rigaux (translated from the French in collaboration with Prof. N. Morgan) published by Terre en vues, 2006, 365 p.
- Burgundy vintages 1846-2006 by Jacky Rigaux (translated from the French), published by Terre en vues, 2006, 122p.
- Burgundy Grands Crus by Jacky Rigaux (translated from the French), published by Terre en vues, 2007, 127p.
My research areas encompass a fairly wide field since foreign language teachers in South Africa have to be able to transmit various and varied skills. I have concentrated on integrating literature as a functional part of French as a foreign language in the South African context. My focus areas in this respect are : identity and otherness, the many faces of love, the representation of the self in literature, cinema, comparative literature. Apart from literature I am creating a French language course for the wine industry over a broad spectrum (viticultural workers, winemakers, consultants, tourism). I also participate in a multidisciplinary research project involving the translation of the first French literary document, Les Pseaumes de David by Pierre Simond, written on African soil. I regularly present courses in film studies where my main focus area in recent years has been the films of the French Nouvelle Vague.
- Soi comme tant d’autres : récit de vie et conception de soi chez Michel Houellebecq et Bret Easton Ellis
XVIIIth International Conference of AFSSA, Grahamstown, 12-14 September 2006. (Invited to chair a session on “Visage and vision”.)
- Les racines de Jules et Jim: Henri-Pierre Roché entre affinités et authenticité
World Conference of the Conseil International d’Études Francophones, Sinaïa (Romania), 25 June-2 July 2006 (also invited to chair a session on “Intercultural dialogue and francophone discourse”)
- «C’est dans cette boue là que je trouverai mon or » : le Journal d’Henri-Pierre Roché Stellenbosch, 8-11 September 2004
- Don Juan et ... les souffrances d’un séducteur surmené
First international conference of l’Association Jules et Jim, Dieulefit (France), 4-6 July 2003
- Through a glass darkly ... The image of Protestantism in francophone fiction.
3rd International Huguenot Conference, Stellenbosch, 25-27 September 2002
- Beyond the mask : Guy de Maupassant in Algeria
Africa and Europe : Myths, Masks and Masquerades. International Conference hosted by the School of Literature and Languages Studies of the University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, 2-5 April 2001
- Henri-Pierre Roché : l'enseignement et l'empire des sens
XVIth International Conference of AFSSA (Association for French Studies in Southern Africa), Pretoria, 6-8 September 2000
Le rôle de la littérature dans l’enseignement du français langue étrangère
Workshop : Stage régional de français d’Epako (Educational seminar in the teaching of French as a Foreign Language in Southern Africa) Omaruru, 22-26 November 2001
AWARDS AND BURSARIES
- 2007, Post-doctoral research fellowship (Dorot award), University of Texas at Austin.
- 2003, Rector’s award for excellence in teaching. University of Stellenbosch.
- 2001, French government grant for research in France, CFPPA (Beaune).
- 1995-1996 French Government bursary for research in France, Université d’Angers.
- 1992-1993 French Government bursary for post-magistral studies (D.E.A.) in France, Université d’Angers.
- NRF conference grants received in 2003 and 2006.
ACADEMIC AND ADMINISTRATIVE RESPONSIBILITIES
- Association for French Studies in Southern Africa (Secretary), 2004
- Teaching committee, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, University of Stellenbosch (Chair), 2006
- Lecturer’s Association steering committee, University of Stellenbosch, 2005